Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Rhonda Eng 232 "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce's

Ambrose Bierce centered his writings on death and not romance. Many feel that the reason his work was centered on death was because of the things he saw in War. He saw people around him being killed. He also lost family members, to suicide, who had fought with him. Even Ambrose's death was a mystery because he just disappeared. He wrote books and stories based on realism.

In the beginning of the story Peyton Farquhar is waiting to be hung. He is being hung because of some type of treason (I think). The man slides the plank out from under him and the rope breaks. He then scrambles to get loose and swims away to safety. He's first thought was if I make it home then I will be safe. What he doesn't know is they are waiting for him at the house. He walks through the door and gives his wife a huge hug. Then all of a sudden he feels a whack across the back of his head. They take him back and proceed to hang him. He wakes up long enough to see his wife in front of him. Before he is able to say anything he hears a crack and then he falls to his destiny.

I couldn't imagine being able to escape death and then have to face it again. I am the type of person that I would much rather get my punishment over with. One example was when I was a child I got in trouble for talking in church. My dad said when we got home we would get a whipping. As soon as I walked through the door I asked him if I could go ahead and have my whipping. Of course I did get my whipping and I felt much better knowing that the worst was over.

He often states that being hung is so much better than being shot. I wonder if he was able to tell us today if he still would agree that being hung is so much better than being shot. If I was sentenced to death I think I would much rather be put to sleep that way I wouldn't feel anything. I couldn't imagine suffocating to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment